Saturday, October 18, 2008

Freddy Four's Final Fight

It didn't look good. The past few days he silently swam. Without his usual vigor. I thought he was turning into an old-man fish. By today he looked more pale than usual (have I gotten too attached to the fish?). Well, we got home from the pumpkin farm only to find that Freddy had his final swim.

So after 3 years and 10 months, he's been flushed off to sea (or rather straight to our septic system).

Somehow I almost feel melancholy. Not sad. Just... well, so much for him!

The kids helped with the final flush. And they immediately started begging for Freddy Five... which I'm not so anxious for in my life right yet.

Good night.

6 comments:

  1. Good bye Freddie, such is the nature of fish. Brandon was so pleased and excited to become a fish owner this last week. He takes a great interest in them though, as they are our only pets, and the novelty has not worn off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple years ago we lost our first fish and the boys took it out in the back yard to bury it. They came back in the house crying their little hearts out - I had no idea they were that attached to the little guy! After awhile Nathan went back out, dug him up and brought him into me. "Mama," he hiccuped, "Will you flush him down the toilet after we go to school?" Life can be pretty painful sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first read the title my mind went to Halloween. Wasn't there a movie with Freddie in it or maybe that was Chuckie. You probably wouldn't know and no I have never seen either movie.
    Anyhoo (stolen from fellow blogger) I'm sorry about Freddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm sorry. so sad. the kids reminded me the other day that we burried our red beda fish under a red peony bush..i must have been really into the ritual thing at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this made me go check on Charlie. We hadn't fed him in days and his water level was pretty low. But he was still ALIVE! I maybe should check on him today and make sure that's still the case. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete