Thursday, October 23, 2008

Thurs. Thinkings

* Solatube should be here any minute. They're installing two things in the roof to bring in natural daylight so the rooms aren't so dim.

* I need birthday party gift ideas and what to do. Kids invited to a neighbor girl turning 9. I bought one game already. But... three kids going to a birthday party. Do they all need to take a gift? Or one combined? And what in the world for a 9-year old girl? Yes, I have one of them myself. But she still loves Polly Pockets and dollhouses. So I'm not sure she's a good reference point.

* The wood stove doing its wonderful work. But it is a bit of a pain getting it up and running in the morning. And there are those pesky ashes to contend with. And it gets really nice and warm once everyone is out the door. So the mornings are chilly. Don't suggest getting up at 4 to stoke the fire. It ain't happening.

* I used to have insomnia issues. Not anymore. No way Jose! I'm exhausted and love, love, love hopping into bed by 10 at the latest.

* We have people coming! I love that. Not that we haven't. Last Sunday, and Tuesday night already. This week is family. My folks tomorrow hopefully and then niece, husband, and puppydog on Sunday. They have a golden puppy that is a wee little thing. I hope Lisi is nice to him. I'll have to post a picture as there is hardly anything cuter than a little golden puppy is there?

* Thank you for those of you that wrote so many kind things on my posting yesterday. I wasn't looking for that. Just writing from the heart. Duane said we should go to the cemetery on Saturday with the kids again. We don't get there enough. Our uncle and aunt on Duane's side kindly donated two spots when she died and Amara is buried between the places where Duane and I will one day rest. It is sobering to see our names there already.

* I want to make lemon poppyseed something today. For some reason, that is Rayna's all-time favorite flavor. That and pickles. Might be muffins or bread today.

* I'm completely new and green to Facebook. Have signed up and am getting comments. But new things scare me. And it feels like another thing to take up time. Which is scary too.

* So I better get to the tasks at hand. I certainly have job security here!

8 comments:

  1. Here's what I do for birthdays of kids I don't know very well (neighbors, classmates etc). However old they are I take that many crisp new dollar bills and tape each dollar bill to a different candy bar, put it in a gift bag and put a helium balloon on top. The kids love the candy and they think they have so much money because of the amount of ones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may sound impersonal but gift cards might work... Target :-)

    I guess I wouldn't do a gift from each of your kids... just household gift. The game was a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the Chairman would slide out of bed at 4:00 to start up the fire. Then again maybe he won't. You could take turns but then again maybe that won't work either.
    Maybe I'll just hope you come up with something that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know how you like facebook. The same friend that got me into blogging(which I love) has been trying to get me into facebook. I am like you, nervous. Also my 15 year old wants a facebook account, maybe Kylie and I should do it together?

    ReplyDelete
  5. facebook
    I joined because of my little sis and just goofed around there a little bit with Mom and my sis at first. I soon found out, though, that there are a lot of people I know on f/b and they found me and started sending friend requests... which I mostly accept. And, the longer I'm on it, the more I like it- b/c people can find you, connect and stay in touch with minimal effort. It can take WAYYYYYYY too much time, too, I found out. So, I stick with a few apps that I like, refuse the rest and write notes when something catches my eye. If we end up in field like last year's, f/b falls by the way because there simply isn't enough time...and summers, when I only have my mobile device, it's out the window, too... but for now, I'm using it a lot. And it's been great to re-connect with some 'long-lost' people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A gift card to barnes and noble is always fun (who doesn't love to pick out a book or two). Webkinz are fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi! you have a ton of company! that's nice. enjoy it. well, this is what i'm contemplating doing..it may sound goofy but ..whatever. i'm thinking of just setting a timer and when it buzzes get off the computer..wherever i am..blogland or facebook. i think it's not so much where you are in this networking thing..it's all fun and interesting. i just need to decide how much time i'm willing to spend and then when it's done it's done and if i don't get to talk to this friend or that or look here or there..oh well. time's up! have a great wk. end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's a link to an awesome Lemon Poppyseed bread I made recently...I've had problems with dry LPS bread in the past but not this recipe!! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lemon-Poppy-Seed-Bread/Detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete