Saturday, October 11, 2008

Pyromania?


Ok I must admit, I like fires. Of any kind. And since I'm so often cold due to extreme low blood pressure, genetic makeup, whatever, I really am going to love the wood stove as you could tell from an earlier post.

A truck delivered a full cord of wood today which we stacked on 2 1/2 racks. Hope it is a long, cold winter! But it was mixed woods. We ordered all oak as it burns hotter and longer (hence, good for wood stoves). The Chairman was disgusted and asked what the firewood delivery guy could give us. More wood? Free? But gasp! Where will we put it. Ok. So a face cord of oak comes next week. We're more than set with stuff to burn.

Spent a good part of a spectaculicious (is that a word?) gorgeous fall day stacking it neatly (the Chairman did that actually while Trevor and I hauled it). There were some weird pieces at the end. They don't fit on the rack! Now what! Well, I've been hankering for a fire pit in the back yard, so I went out and put one together with left-behind bricks from the previous owner and made one today! Set a bunch of scraps on fire tonight and voila! A campfire! We'll really enjoy it. I smell right now like I've been camping. But it is so nice. Ahhhh. Bring on winter.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome idea! Fires are banned in Ames, but maybe if I have a firepit made out of bricks like yours I could get away with it? I'll have to look into it. It sounds like you're going to be cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. when we were in Rapids, The Chairman's nephew used to build fires in the fireplace there that should have been the envy of any pyromaniac! There was never any need to get up in the night and put another log on, for sure... didn't have to use blankets in the coldest weather, either.

    I've always loved fires, too; have allergy trouble with them, though. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pyro what? Me too! Are we related? Going to a bonfire tonight! Taking that "to-die-for" apple cake w/caramel sauce. Warning: Make only once a year. In that wonderful cookbook you have, there is a recipe for Spicy Prune Cake that is just about identical. Don't let the name scare you, you only feel its affects for a week or so. Not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So maybe you would not be the right person to tell what Connor learned at Scouts this weekend: that you can start a fire with a 9-volt battery and a piece of steel wool???

    ReplyDelete