Sunday, October 5, 2008

Vermont Cast Iron Stove



It was a negative when I first looked at the house. Why in the world did they put that wood stove in a new house? Why is it off-center in the vastly high living room? Is that something we can change right away I asked Duane (on the wild thought we'd place an offer on the house). He assured me it could be changed if we did buy. Well we bought. And it ain't goin' nowhere. You see today was a gray and stormy day here in Wisconsin. Not super cold. Just chilly enough to make you think of your LL Bean Fleece jacket. And slippers. And curling under the down throw on the sofa. And so after our chicken dinner - I might add not ANY chicken dinner, a farm fresh raised running around the farmyard being chased by Joey chicken (and I hope not one of Stacy's spring chickens), Duane asked his dad if he'd like to see the wood stove fire up. Sure! And so they went to get it going. After one mild smoke incident (and several incidents of me trying to tell Duane to do it this way or that and nearly getting him irritated with me but we've been married long enought that I know just when to back off) it got going. Roaring actually. Then we read the manual about dampers and air flows and thus and such and had a lazy, warm up the room fire. Like deliciously warm. And cozy. After 7 hours and six smaller pieces of wood, the house is 74 degrees. The upstairs is toasty. The bedrooms slightly cool. And I'm a believer! I'll fire up the stove in the morning! My feet are warm for the first time since July! And I'm so desperately happy for a simple feature that I actually despised for the first two months. So there you have it! I might even post a picture!

3 comments:

  1. Oh yes! Lucky lucky you!! My dad had two of those in his house, one on the enclosed porch, & one inside. they kept things toasty all winter!
    I want one for my basement SO bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a energy saver to me! enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds heavenly. Wish we had one. *wistful sigh*

    ReplyDelete